Monday, April 4, 2011

Roots...

Traveling and constantly changing my surroundings has become an important part of my life, but being home has really put things into perspective.  I started this blog three years ago when I decided to leave Canada with no particular destination in mind.  The adventures that followed shaped the person that I am today and no doubt helped me to grow as an individual and as a human being.  When I first left, I had the intention of truly finding some sort of personal truth, some state of enlightenment.  I’ve come to realize that this is a life long process and that the wisdom that I seek comes from a variety of experiences, not just travel, but also being in touch with ones roots.  Being back around the people that I grew up with and the places where I came of age has been surprisingly invigorating and has helped me to make some sense of all the experience that I have gained over the last few years.  My roots are my original connection to this world, and I once took that for granted.  So as much as I promote indefinite travel and alternative lifestyles, I also believe that returning to ones roots is a vital part of what makes us human, and is something that acts as a reminder of who we really are.  Perhaps I will leave again, in fact it is quite likely, but it will be so with a greater appreciation for my roots.  There is a saying that says "Those that wander are not necessarily lost", but I know now that as I continue traveling, were it not for my roots, I would indeed be lost.

1 comment:

bongo said...

HEY, Iam working on a project ROOTS and I just cam through ur blog which is too god and inspiring......and unfortunately my life is also goiong in the ssame track differenceis tht i am experiencing sitting in one place and u r experiencing through travelling.....tc